Anyone who has changed their name legally is also required to change it at the bank they have an account with. The best way to do this is to write a letter addressed to the Branch Manager. How to write an application letter to bank for change of name in bank account is discussed below.
There can be a number of reasons that prompt individuals to change their name. The most common scenario for a name change is that of women taking on their husband’s last name, post marriage. However, there can be other reasons as well where people change their name. Some instances include:
- Surname change after marriage
- Reverting to maiden name after divorce
- Remarriage of widow
- Complete name change post marriage
- Name change after religion change
- Adding an alias to the name
- Changing name legally
- Wanting to include middle name to the name registered with bank
- Matching the name with the bank with that to other legal documents, such as PAN card, Adhaar card etc
Whatever your reason for the name change may be, you will need to make a formal written request to the bank. Your application should be addressed to the branch manager, of the bank, where you hold an account, requesting for the name to be changed. Keep reading to find out hoe an application for name change should be made and the supporting documents that will need to be submitted along with the same.
When to make an application for change of name in your bank account
The application needs to be made at the earliest, once all legal formalities with respect to the name change are fulfilled. Check with the bank if a form needs to be filled for the change of name. In any case, approach the bank with an application, because one is generally mandatory.
Carry a copy of the application and have the bank acknowledge receipt of your application. Ensure that they sign the copy and put a round seal. This is important because it is proof that you have submitted a request to the bank.
Writing an application for name change in bank account
An application that requires a change to be made to an existing bank account will require corresponding documents that support the request. Details of the documents are covered in the following section. This section deals with the format for the cover letter.
Before you begin writing the letter ensure that the required information for change of name in your bank account, is in order/available. This is important because banks do not entertain requests, without supporting evidence. Details that you are required to furnish in the letter are:
- Bank account number, along with customer ID or CIF number
- Mention your name in the communication followed by the name you want entered in your account – place the new name in capital letters/bold for legibility
- Mention the reason for change in name – choose from the options given above, or another legitimate reason
- Confirm whether you will be changing your signature as well – you will need to make a fresh application for that
- Provide your postal and email addresses and mobile number
Essential documents for changing name in a bank account
Banking procedures do not allow for a name change of a customer without valid proof. To be able to initiate the name change for a bank account, you will need to provide the following documents to the bank:
- Copy of the marriage certificate from the office of the marriage registrar. To obtain a copy, register your marriage at the marriage registrar’s office.
- If the name change is due to any of the other reasons then a copy of the Gazette notification that mentions both your old and new names should be enclosed. This is a legal document, and the copy will have to be notarized.
- Also include an affidavit declaring your name change.
- A photocopy of the name change announcement published in the newspaper should also be included.
- Copy of self-attested Photo Identification documents, such as PAN card/Aadhar card/Passport etcetera
The above are just broad guideline for name change policies followed by most banks. Procedures might vary from bank to bank, so check with your branch on the exact procedure, before you make an application. This is just to avoid delays and save you time.
Sample Letter to Bank for Change of Name
The Bank Manager
Name of Bank
Postal Address of the Branch
Your name as in bank records
Your mailing address as available in the bank records
Subject: Application for Name Change in Bank Account
Dear Sir / Madam,
I [state your old name here] have a savings/current account [mention account number here] with your bank. I have changed my name legally and wish to update the new name in your records linked with the aforementioned account. Please find the necessary details below:
- Account number
- Customer ID/CIF number
- Your current/old name in the bank records
- Your new legal name [mention it in capital/bold]
- Mention the reason for change
Enclosed herewith please find attested photocopies of supportive documents for your reference:
- Include a list of all the documents that you will be submitting
- Check the list of documents given above and include copies of the most relevant ones
- Ensure that certificates such a marriage and name change Gazette notification are attested by a competent authority
- Copies of documents of personal identification like your PAN card and Aadhar card should be certified and attested by you
I am returning unused and canceled cheque leafs [mention cheque numbers] issued against my old name. I confirm that no cheques have been issued or awaiting clearance. All ECS mandates have also been canceled. I understand that the bank is authorized to dishonor any instrument drawn on my old name.
I am also returning my credit and debit cards that bear my old name.
I request that a new cheque book and credit and debit cards, with my new name, be issued to me at the earliest.
[Place your signature, followed by your old name and date]
Final note of caution
- Before you submit the letter to bank for change of name, ensure that your account is active. The bank will not comply with your request if the account is dormant.
- It is mandatory to enclose documents pertaining to your new name. The bank will not entertain requests where proper proof of name change is not attached with the application.
Contact us +2348136880944 for Advertisement on our website with affordable price, Call or WhatsApp us on +2348136880944. Thanks for visiting folks!..