Category Archives: Attack

Somali capital hit by deadly twin blast


Militants have launched their first major attack in the Somali capital Mogadishu since the start of Ramadan almost two months ago.

Journalists say al-Shabab fighters stormed the ministry of the interior and national security after detonating two car bombs.

The BBC’s Somali service says there have been 10 deaths and at least 20 civilians are reported injured.

Security had been tightened in the city over Ramadan to prevent attacks.

Source: BBC Somali

Advertisements

​ISIS said they’re responsible for truck attack in Nice, France’, Terrorist group claims


ISIS has claimed responsibility for the recent terror attack in Nice, France.

According to The UK Guardian, the terrorist group is responsible for the attack on July 15, 2016, that left 84, including children, dead and over 200 others injured.

This was confirmed in a statement from

Amaq , the press agency supporting ISIS.

“The person who carried out the operation in Nice, France, to run down people was a soldier of the Islamic State, who carried out the operation in response to calls to target states that are part of the coalition fighting Islamic State,” it read.

The attack was carried out by a man in a lorry, who ploughed a celebratory group.

His truck was reportedly filled with replica weapons, including two Kalashnikovs, an M16, one grenade, an automatic firearm, a charger, bullets, and a second second automatic weapon.

The driver has been identified Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel , a 31-year-old Tunisian-born Frenchman.

  • Follow us on facebook @ page like
  • Follow us on twitter @ ikemsam
  • Follow us on instagram @ ikemsam
  • Source: Pulse

​In Niger, Muslim youths attack Catholic Church



A group of Muslim youths have attacked a Catholic Church around the Zuma Rock area of Niger state on Friday, July 15, 2016.

Members of St. Philip’s Catholic Parish, Baki Iku, went to pray in the Church and the angry Muslims came to disrupt their prayers saying they were not supposed to pray on Friday.

They said Friday is their day of prayer, adding that Christians should stick to praying on Sunday alone.

The youths allegedly destroyed properties and furniture in the Church before some soldiers came to the rescue of the Church members.

Vanguard reports that the Vicar-General of the Diocese, Rev. Fr. Luka Sylvester Gopep, said “Sometime around 2pm, some Muslim youths in their hundreds left their mosque after their Friday Jumat prayer and rushed to the church premises, climbed the wall and destroyed everything in the church: the windows, the altar, musical instruments, the chapel.

“The security man in the church premises was beaten to pulp.

“Some women who were holding a prayer meeting were chased away. “The seminarian who is resident in the premises was also beaten up and chased away.”

Francis Emmanuel, a 41-year-old carpenter, was stabbed by a group of Muslim youths in Kaduna state » for eating during the Ramadan fast.

​In France Attack A white truck, bodies fly, and a world of tears in Nice



The Bastille day fireworks had just ended when a large white truck drove fast and deliberately at the crowd on the

Nice waterfront on Thursday.

A few hours later, the 40 or so people gathered in a room for victims’ families at the Pasteur hospital in the French Riviera town had the horror of it all etched on their faces.

People cried, some holding their heads in their hands. One woman with bruises on her face sat in a wheelchair, weeping and looking desperate.

At least 80 people died in the carnage and many more were injured in what President Francois Hollande said was clearly a terrorist attack, with several children among the dead.

Laurence Marie, who works at Lenval paediatric hospital, said “many” more children were undergoing serious operations there.

The attack came eight months after the Islamist militant shootings and suicide bombings in Paris that killed 130 people.

Hollande had announced just hours earlier, while marking France’s national day celebrating the birth of the world’s first republic, that he would lift the state of emergency that was put in place after the November killings.

“We were all very happy, ready to celebrate all night long, we had a big plan! ,” said a 20-year-old woman in the hospital room who gave her name as Fanny.

“As we were just starting to walk after the fireworks, I saw a truck driving into the pedestrian area, it was going very fast and zigzagging. At first I thought the truck didn’t realise the road had been made pedestrian for the celebration. But when I saw people on the ground I started realising it could be a terror attack,” she told Reuters.

“Luckily my brother, my mum and myself are all fine now but some of my friends were not as lucky, they are having operations as we speak. It’s very hard, it’s all very traumatic.”

NUMBERS IDENTIFY VICTIMS

Nurses had told some of those waiting that the medical team didn’t have time to take records of the identities of the wounded because the priority was treatment.

Patients were being classified by numbers.

At the scene of the attack on the Promenade des Anglais, bodies lay covered in white sheets and witnesses could barely believe what they had seen.

“I saw bodies flying like skittles as it drove along,” said local journalist Damien Allemand on the Nice-Matin newspaper’s web site. “I just froze … The beach attendants were the first on the scene. They brought water for the wounded and towels that they placed over those for whom there was no hope.”

Back in the hospital, Marco de Feo, 29 from Milan, said he and his four friends had only learned of the celebration from their hosts, a Romanian couple living in Nice, and decided to go along at the last minute.

“I saw a truck turning into the road and driving fast in our direction,” he said.

“Luckily I saw it in time to avoid it, but our friend got hit and fell on the ground. We fled to the beach and then found shelter in a hotel. One of our friends went back on the scene to carry our injured friend who couldn’t move nor speak but was still breathing. She was then taken to hospital in an ambulance.”

The driver of the truck was shot dead by police, but some witnesses said they thought he was firing a gun as he drove.

“I saw this enormous white truck go past at top speed,” said Suzy Wargniez , a local woman aged 65 who saw the scene unfold from a cafe on the promenade.

“It was shooting, shooting. ”

POOLS OF BLOOD AT DAYBREAK

Dawn revealed pools of dried blood, smashed children’s strollers, an uneaten baguette and other debris strewn about the promenade.

Small areas were screened off at regular intervals. What appeared to be bodies covered in blankets were visible through the gaps.

The trail of broken waste bins, signage, and police barriers suggested the driver had mounted the kerb from the road to the promenade just outside the Lenval hospital, where some of the child victims were taken.

  • Follow us on facebook @ page like
  • Follow us on twitter @ ikemsam
  • Follow us on instagram @ ikemsam
  • Source: Pulse

​France Attack, Death toll hits 80, dozens



An attacker killed up to 80 people and injured scores when he drove a heavy truck at high speed into a crowd watching Bastille Day fireworks in the French Riviera city of Nice late on Thursday, officials said.

Counter-terrorist investigators were seeking to identify the driver, who a local government official said opened fire before police shot him dead. The official said weapons and grenades were found inside the 25-tonne, unmarked truck.

The attack, which came eight months and a day after Islamic State gunmen and suicide bombers killed 130 people in Paris, appeared so far to be the work of a lone assailant.

Newspaper Nice-Matin quoted unidentified sources as saying the driver was a 31-year-old local of Tunisian origin.

The truck careered for hundreds of metres (yards) along the famed Promenade des Anglais seafront, slamming into spectators watching the fireworks, listening to an orchestra or strolling above the beach towards the grand, century-old Hotel Negresco.

“It’s a scene of horror,” a local member of parliament, Eric Ciotti , told France Info radio, saying the truck had “mown down several hundred people.” Local government leader Christian Estrosi put the death toll at 77, while BFM TV later put it at 80. An Interior Ministry spokesman said “several dozen” had died.

Nice-Matin said 42 people were in critical condition and many others injured.

“People went down like ninepins,” Jacques, who runs Le Queenie restaurant on the seafront, told France Info.

“I saw people go down,” bystander Franck Sidoli , who was visibly shocked, told Reuters at the scene. “Then the truck stopped, we were just five metres away. A woman was there, she lost her son. Her son was on the ground, bleeding,”

Nice-Matin posted photographs of the truck, its windshield starred by a score of bullets and its radiator grille destroyed.

Since the Islamic State attacks last year, major public events in France have been guarded by troops and armed police, but it appeared to have taken some minutes to halt the progress of the deadly truck as it tore along pavements and a pedestrian zone.

Police told residents of the city, located 30 km (20 miles) from the Italian border, to stay indoors as they conducted further operations, though there was no sign of any other attack.

President Francois Hollande, who raced back to Paris from the south of France after the attack, was due to address a sleepless nation on television at 3:30 a.m. (0130 GMT). Hours earlier, in a traditional Bastille Day interview, he had said an eight-month state of emergency might end in two weeks time.

Islamic State militants killed 130 people in Paris on Nov. 13, the bloodiest in a number of attacks in France and

Belgium in the past two years. On Sunday, a weary nation had breathed a collective sigh of relief as the month-long Euro 2016 soccer tournament across France ended without a feared attack.

Four months ago, Belgian Islamists linked to the Paris attackers killed 32 people in Brussels.

Police denied rumours on social media of a subsequent hostage-taking in Nice. Vehicle attacks have been used by isolated members of militant groups in recent years, notably in Israel, as well as in Europe, though never to such devastating effect.

U.S. President Barack Obama said in a statement: “On behalf of the American people, I condemn in the strongest terms what appears to be a horrific terrorist attack in Nice, France, which killed and wounded dozens of innocent civilians.”

  • Follow us on facebook @ page like
  • Follow us on twitter @ ikemsam
  • Follow us on instagram @ ikemsam
  • Source: Pulse

​In Iraq, Interior minister resigns after massive Baghdad bomb attack



Iraq’s interior minister resigned on Tuesday and said a deputy would take over his responsibilities, a few days after the deadliest of many car bombings in Baghdad since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion.

Mohammed Ghabban made the announcement at a news conference in Baghdad, a video of which was posted on his Facebook page. His resignation will be official only if Prime Minister

Haider Al Abadi approves it. Abadi’s office had no immediate comment.

The death toll from a massive suicide bombing in Baghdad’s central shopping district of Karrada on Saturday has reached 250, Iraq’s Health Ministry said on Tuesday.

It was the worst single car bomb attack in Iraq since U.S. forces toppled

Saddam Hussein 13 years ago and deepened the anger of many Iraqis over the weak performance of the security apparatus.

Islamic State militants, who government forces are trying to eject from large swathes of northern and western territory seized in 2014, claimed responsibility for the bombing.

The attack showed Islamic State (IS) remains capable of ad-hoc attacks causing major loss of life despite losing considerable ground on the battlefield, most recently the city of Falluja, an hour’s drive west of the capital.

The interior minister said that the explosive-packed vehicle came from the eastern province of Diyala, blaming a lack of communicating between multiple forces in charge of the capital’s security.

Ghabban told Reuters in an interview last month that a recent spate of IS bombings in Baghdad would not end unless “disorder” plaguing Iraq’s security apparatus was rectified.

He said then that security forces outside his control – including units reporting to two counter-terrorism agencies, two Defence Ministry directorates and regional security commands – overlap with his ministry’s own counter-intelligence efforts.

​In Indonesia Suicide bomber attacks police station, injures 1



A suicide bomber on a motorcycle attacked a police station in the small

Indonesian city of Solo on Tuesday, killing himself and wounding a police officer, a police spokesman said.

Following the attack, President Joko Widodo, who is from Solo and a former mayor of the town, urged calm and ordered police to quickly arrest others that may have been connected to the suicide bomber.

Police have increased security at churches, mosques, shopping malls and airports as Indonesia, home to the world’s largest Muslim population, prepares to celebrate the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

“We are increasing the number of personnel, as well as intensifying patrols and security in places where there are a lot of people gathering,” said police spokesman Agus Rianto .

Police said the attacker detonated the bomb he was wearing shortly after driving into the grounds of the police station in Solo, known as a hotbed for religious fundamentalism. A police officer who tried to stop him from entering sustained minor injuries.

The identity of the bomber was not immediately clear, but intelligence chief Sutiyoso told MetroTV he suspected the attacker was a supporter of Islamic State.

The radical group claimed its first attack in Indonesia last January, in the capital Jakarta, that killed four people. The four attackers also died.

Indonesia saw a spate of attacks in the 2000s, the deadliest of which was a nightclub bombing on the holiday island of Bali that killed 202 people, most of them tourists.

Police have been largely successful in destroying domestic militant cells since then, but they now worry that the influence of Islamic State could pitch the country back into violence.

Southeast Asian militants who claim to be fighting for Islamic State in the Middle East have said they have chosen one of the most wanted men in the Philippines to head a regional faction of the ultra-radical group that includes Indonesians and Malaysians, security officials said last month.

  • Follow us on facebook @ page like
  • Follow us on twitter @ ikemsam
  • Follow us on instagram @ ikemsam
  • Source: Pulse